Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and with it comes the flood of commercials and advice in newspapers and magazines with suggestions for the ‘perfect Valentines gift’. Since I love Valentines Day and love love, I’m going to give some of my own suggestions:
First the items that I really DON’T want and men in general may want to pass on:
1. Flowers-These pretty things die in less than a week, are sprayed with chemicals and some come from areas that use slave labor. Pass!
2.Hallmark Cards-Overpriced! Better to make your own.:)
3. Stuffed animals-particularly the evil ‘singing‘ ones. This might just be a personal thing, but I really, really don’t want any stuffed bears, cats, dogs, etc. holding cheesy hearts. These items are made overseas for 5 cents and then sold in Shoppers Drug Mart with a jacked up pricetag. Unnecessary clutter, particularly since I’m up to my wazoo in stuffed animals already and have no need for holiday novelty ones!
4. Singing candy-grams-Nothing spells romance than embarassing the shit out of your significant other. Yeah, no thanks!
5. Overpriced jewelry (ie. gold, diamonds, rubies, etc.) Am I the only woman who does not want flashy jewelry? The only gold I wear is my wedding ring and it seems vain to wear much more than that. Wearing that stuff is like walking around with a big ‘target’ on your forehead, plus most people don’t go to many super fancy events where this kind of decoration is appropriate. So, most expensive ‘bling’ (Egad! I hate that word) goes straight into either the safety deposit box or is shoved in some drawer.
6. Edible undergarments. Just. Don’t. Ever. I’m going to go be sick now…
Next, the items that I think are BETTER and more meaningful:
1. Back/neck rub-And no, I’m not talking about the half-hearted wimpy back rub. I’m talking oil, a nice place to lie on, relaxing music and no complaining about how your hands hurt! LOL. My posture sucks, so back rubs are VERY welcome! 🙂
2. Cleaning up the house or at least cleaning up after making a mess. Romance means not being someone’s maid or mother. 😉
3. Making your partner’s favorite meal and someone on the radio suggested “chocolate fondue and fruits” for dessert! Yeah, I could dig that!
4. Nice, hot, bubble bath with candles. Its cold outside, hot baths are a great way to unwind.
5. A trip to the Caribbean! Hello sun, sand and margaritas! (Obviously, this is not something you can surprise your partner with every year, unless your last name is Trump, Hilton or Gates. But I think its still a good suggestion!)
6. If you aren’t a lucky bum and are stuck in town, then get out and do something fun with your partner, ie. Bowling, indoor mini-putt, dancing (as pictured here, though pairing up in matching pink outfits is strictly optional;)), theatre, comedy club, etc.
7. Reminding your partner, in case its been awhile, how much you love and appreciate them. 🙂
So those are my tips, bear in mind they are from a woman’s point of view. Feel free to suggest your own, from your own individual point of view.:)
Pictures-“Porn for Women” by Susan Anderson