Simple, vegetarian fare for lunch and dinner. I’m also open to new suggestions!
French Dressing-From Martha Stewart Living Magazine. SO Good!
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated onion
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- ¾ tsp paprika
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- Ground pepper
- 4 ½ tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup canola oil
Whisk together all ingredients except oil. Add oil in a slow stream until fully blended.
Honey and Soy glazed Carrots (Nice and easy side dish)
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the carrots and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Stir in the carrots and soy sauce and cook over high heat until the carrots are browned in spots, 2 minutes. Stir in the honey and cook until the carrots are glazed, 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a platter and serve.
- 4 slices dense, hearty brown bread
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons dark ale (NOT beer)
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat a broiler.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Place under the broiler and toast, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 30-40 seconds on each side.
- Remove from the broiler.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the cheddar and the dark ale.
- When the cheese melts, add the butter, Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and the cayenne, and whisk together until smoothly melted and combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Cut each piece of toast in half, diagonally, and arrange around the edges on a flameproof platter.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the toasts so they are covered completely.
- Place the platter under the broiler and broil until the cheese bubbles and starts to scorch in places, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the broiler and serve piping hot
1 packet Old El Paso taco flavouring
1 package Yves ground round
1 jalapeno pepper
1 small can of corn
1 tsp salt and pepper
Dash of cayenne, paprika, chilli powder and any other spices you like
Fry the 0nion and jalapeno pepper in a bit of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add vegetarian ground round. Mix package of taco powder in a cup of water and wait until dissolved, then add to frying pan, along with corn. Throw in any desired spices. Follow directions on packet for cooking time. Once done, put some in taco shells, along with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, hot sauce, etc. Olé!
Orange Beef-Style Tofu Stirfry
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu, drained and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Place the 1/4 cup cornstarch in a dish; press tofu slices in the cornstarch to coat on all sides. Stir-fry in the wok 5 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides. Drain tofu on paper towels. Allow wok to cool, and wipe clean.
In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, orange juice, water, sugar, chili paste, and cornstarch until smooth.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the wok, and stir-fry the carrots until tender. Form a well in the center of the carrots, and pour in the sauce. Bring sauce to a boil. Mix tofu into the wok, and continue cooking until coated with the sauce.
Passion Fruit Ice Cream Pie with Ginger Crust
1 box gingersnaps, crushed
Dried pineapple, chopped
2 tbs Candied ginger
4 tbs unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups dulce de leche (16 oz jar)
1/2 cup passion fruit nectar
3 pints vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup salted pistachios, chopped
2 tbs shredded sweetened coconut
In a food processor. combine the crushed gingersnaps with the pineapple, ginger and butter and process until fine crumbs form. Press the crumbs evenly over the bottom of a 9 inch pan. Freeze until firm. Next, combine the dulce de leche and passion fruit nectar in a blender and blend until smooth. Leave for now. Take the pan out of freezer and spread ice cream over the bottom, drizzle 3/4 cup of the dulce sauce over the ice cream. Sprinkle with pistachios and coconut and freeze for at least 2 hours. Serve with remainder dulce de leche sauce.